Care Before & After Surgery in North Idaho
Contact us or read on to learn more about surgery and procedures at Northwest Specialty Hospital.
What should I bring to the hospital?
- Insurance cards and forms
- Admission Slip
- Personal Hygiene Items (if you are staying overnight)
- Denture cream
- Any Special Medications you take (in original container)
- Slippers (non-skid soles)
- Loose-fitting clothing, sweats, or comfortable lounge attire.
- Leave all your jewelry and valuables at home (including wedding rings & body piercing jewelry).
- Children are allowed to bring a favorite blanket and/or quiet toy.
What should I expect before surgery?
- Do not eat or drink anything before surgery according to the directions given. This includes gum, mints, smoking, or anything taken in by mouth. If you have any questions please contact the preop nurse at 262-2325 or 262-2347
- Be sure to complete any doctors orders (labs, EKG, etc.) 2 days before your surgery.
- Take your medications according to your doctors orders. If you have any questions regarding your medications, please call the hospital before taking them. (208) 262-2300
- Arrange to have someone to stay at the hospital during your surgery.
- Arrange to have someone drive you home.
- Shampoo and bathe the night before surgery or the morning of your surgery.
- Contact your physician if you develop any change in condition, such as an increase in temperature, prior to your surgery.
- Women having facial surgery, Do Not Wear: Make-up, Hair pins and/or false eyelashes
- Please REMOVE nail polish before any type of surgery.
- Parents MUST stay in the hospital if patient is a minor.
What should I expect after surgery?
- You will be working with Physical Therapy if ordered by your physician.
- Remain as pain free and comfortable as possible with medications and comfort measures.
- Participate in the planning process for your discharge.
- Remember that the staff at Northwest Specialty Hospital cares about you and wants to make your visit with us as comfortable as possible.
Still have questions? Feel free to contact us.