Endoscopy Used To Diagnose And Treat Various Conditions
Endoscopy is a medical procedure that allows a physician to look inside your body without performing surgery. An endoscope is a tool, sometimes flexible and other times rigid, which can be used to examine an organ or cavity of the body. Many endoscopes have a light or lens to relay an image back to your doctor. Local numbing agents or IV medication are used to keep you comfortable during the procedure.
Multiple Types Of Endoscopy Performed At Northwest Specialty Hospital
Endoscopy is an effective method to help diagnose illnesses, infections, and disease, often through a biopsy. It can also be used to treat disorders and disease.
Types of endoscopy performed at Northwest Specialty Hospital include the following:
- Bronchoscopy is a type of endoscopy used to examine the airway and lungs, or to remove mucus, fluid, or a foreign object. It can also be used to drain abscesses, wash out the airway or treat bronchial cancers.
- Laryngoscopy examines the back of the throat, vocal cords, and larynx. This helps diagnose voice issues, throat and ear problems, and issues with swallowing, bleeding, injuries to the throat, blockages, or strictures. It may also be used for biopsy, to remove polyps, and for laser treatment.
- Esophagogastroscopy (upper endoscopy) looks at the upper digestive system and treats conditions that affect the esophagus, stomach, and beginning of the small intestine. This can help diagnose the cause of digestive problems and treat bleeding, narrowing, polyps, and foreign objects.
- Proctoscopy and sigmoidoscopy examine the anus, rectum, and colon. These endoscopic procedures can be used to remove growths and take biopsy samples.
- Colonoscopy examines the entire colon or large intestine to diagnose polyps and look for causes of bleeding, changes in bowel habits, pain, and weight loss. This type of endoscopy is performed preventively as well, usually starting between ages 45 and 50.
- Peritoneoscopy or laparoscopy visualizes the inside of the abdomen, ovaries, and uterine tubes. Laparoscopic surgical procedures can include removal of the gallbladder, appendix, and is used for tubal ligation, hysterectomy, hernia repair and to remove tumors.
Contact Northwest Specialty Hospital today to learn more about your options for endoscopy. We’re here to answer any questions you may have about these common procedures.
A full range of scopic testing is performed at NWSH, most of which are done on an convenient outpatient basis.
Here are some common Endoscopic procedures (inpatient and outpatient) performed at the Northwest Specialty Hospital.
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy